Cornerstone General Contractors, Inc., was formed in 1993 to offer an all-Alaskan general contracting option to the state’s leading organizations. During the last two decades Cornerstone has become an industry leader and trusted general contractor specializing in collaborative project delivery methods for new commercial construction and precision renovation of existing facilities.
In its first 20 years Cornerstone completed landmark projects in education, government, healthcare, housing, and industrial sectors, both in Anchorage and in remote communities, from Southeast to the Kenai Peninsula to Kodiak Island and the far west coast of Alaska. Cornerstone’s success reflects our belief that exceeding expectations results from productive relationships with owners, architects, engineers, subcontractors, suppliers, and a respect for those who use the buildings we build.
People in the construction industry are extraordinarily proud, and the Cornerstone team is no exception. As Alaskans, we know what it means to train hard and work even harder year-round in some of the worst weather conditions on the planet. Why do we do it? It’s what we love. That sentiment forms the backbone of our company culture. We’re proud of the work we do, who we do it with, and who we do it for. We’re proud to build world class facilities for all Alaskans.
- 2016 Alaska Business Monthly Top 49ers
- 2015 Alaska Governor’s Safety Award of Excellence
- 2015 AGC of Alaska Excellence in Construction Award
- 2015 AGC of Alaska Excellence in Safety Award
- 2015 Alaska Business Monthly Top 49ers
- 2014 Alaska Governor’s Safety Award of Excellence
- 2014 Alaska Business Monthly Top 49ers
- 2014 AGC of Alaska Excellence in Construction Award
- 2014 AGC of Alaska Excellence in Safety Award
- 2014 Alaska Governor’s Safety Award of Excellence
- 2013 Anchorage Chamber of Commerce Gold Pan Award for Business Excellence
- 2013 Alaska Governor’s Safety Award of Excellence
- 2013 National Association of Women in Construction – Region 9 Safety Award
- 2012 Alaska Business Monthly Contractor of the Year
- 2012 Alaska Business Monthly Top 49ers
- 2012 AGC of Alaska Excellence in Safety Award
- 2012 Alaska Governor’s Safety Award of Excellence
- 2012 National Association of Women in Construction Award
- 2011 AGC of Alaska Excellence in Construction Award
- 2011 Alaska Governor’s Safety Award of Excellence
- 2010 AGC of Alaska Excellence in Construction Award
Cornerstone is a company of leaders. We employ some of the most experienced construction professionals in Alaska as well as the best and brightest of a new generation. Our people are well educated and seasoned in collaborative project execution across Anchorage’s urban landscape and Alaska’s most remote locations. We take our role as partners in construction very seriously, leading through earned expertise, while always learning from the innovative people around us.
At Cornerstone, we understand that a company is its people. This is why we strive to provide our employees with opportunities to excel. We empower them to make decisions, build teams, provide solutions, think in new ways, and challenge convention. We also encourage them to have fun, to create an enjoyable workplace, and to advocate for project environments that reflect a positive outlook.
Our people are at their best when challenged by the high expectations of those around them. We are excited by every opportunity to team with architects, engineers, and specialty contractors, and we pull out all the stops to satisfy our clients, strengthen our partner relationships, and construct the highest quality buildings in Alaska.
The wellbeing of our project teams and subcontracting partners is fundamental to our success. This is why our #1 priority on every jobsite is the health and safety of our people, subcontractors, client personnel, and others who may be present. Cornerstone is committed to a comprehensive safety management approach to achieve safe performance through leadership, training, incentives, and accountability.
Cornerstone’s safety program receives hands-on support from the company’s leadership team and is monitored by a dedicated Safety Manager tasked with nurturing a culture of safety at all levels, as well as assisting operations management with resources, training, planning, implementation, and site-specific safety programs.
Cornerstone has received outstanding recognition for its safety performance including the 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2011 Alaska Governor’s Safety Award of Excellence, the 2013 National Association of Women in Construction – Region 9 Safety Award, and multiple AGC of Alaska Safety Excellence Awards.
Cornerstone gives back to our community through financial, in-kind, and volunteer support. Our owners and employees are involved in more than 30 non-profit organizations in Anchorage and across Alaska. Notable among these is Habitat for Humanity, which is supported through a variety of initiatives including the Construction Consortium, which helps raise money from firms within the local construction industry to build one home per year for a family in need.
Other recent projects include partnership with local architects for renovations at the Salvation Army’s Booth Memorial Home, and the construction of a playhouse that was auctioned off to the Abused Women’s Aid in Crisis (AWAIC) shelter at the Anchorage Police Department Employees Association’s annual fundraiser.
Unique to Cornerstone is our commitment to the establishment and continued success of construction related academic programs. We worked closely with the University of Alaska Anchorage and AGC of Alaska to develop UAA’s Construction Management program, and we continue to hire interns and graduates from the school. We provide students with access to practical learning opportunities as well as scholarships and other financial support. In addition, our UAA graduate employees give back more than 300 hours annually in mentoring to matriculating Construction Management students and their related programs.
- Alaska Airlines Kodiak Airport Upgrades Progressing March 22, 2017
- West/Romig IMC a Unique Community Asset March 20, 2017
- Cornerstone to Renovate West/Romig Library January 20, 2017
- Kodiak Airport Upgrades Forthcoming September 12, 2016
- Wasilla Public Library News August 25, 2016
- Work at Gladys Wood Elementary School Underway August 15, 2016
- Wasilla Public Library Takes Shape January 28, 2016
- Cornerstone to Renew Gladys Wood Elementary School January 4, 2016
- Service High School Renewal Completed December 18, 2015
- West/Romig CTE Finished On Time December 18, 2015
- Cornerstone Wins Top AGC Honors November 18, 2015
- Romig Middle School CTE Completed Early October 16, 2015
- Cornerstone Makes 2015 Top 49ers September 30, 2015
- Boney Courthouse Renewal Completed June 29, 2015
- Cornerstone Awarded Wasilla Public Library March 8, 2015
- Cornerstone Wins Top AGC Awards November 17, 2014
- Work at West High Begins October 10, 2014
- Cornerstone Makes 2014 Top 49ers October 1, 2014
- UAA Alaska Airlines Center Opens July 14, 2014
- Girl Scout Camp Nearing Completion July 14, 2014
- Boney Courthouse Phase 3 Underway June 16, 2014
- Service High School Renewal Continues June 13, 2014
- Dinner is Served at New UAA Alaska Airlines Center June 1, 2014
- Cornerstone Joins Anchorage Citywide Cleanup May 10, 2014
- CHASE Partnership the Next Step in Safety Excellence April 7, 2014
- Cornerstone Awarded Homer Public Safety Building Project April 1, 2014
- Cornerstone Receives 4th Governor’s Safety Excellence Award March 6, 2014
- AVTEC Dormitory Opens On Time January 9, 2014
- Cornerstone Celebrates New Kodiak Public Library December 12, 2013
- Cornerstone’s Steve Rowe Wins Safety Award November 16, 2013
- Cornerstone Awarded West High School Project November 7, 2013
- Cornerstone’s C. John Eng Concludes Year as AGC President November 4, 2013
- Cornerstone Receives Gold Pan Award for Business Excellence September 13, 2013
- AVTEC Dormitory Goes Up and Up July 29, 2013
- Pace of AVTEC Dorm Construction Escalates July 25, 2013
- CGC’s Project Delivery Method Highlighted in Alaska Business Monthly March 1, 2013
- Youth Detention Center Celebrates Renovation February 27, 2013